Inspired by a recipe from Jamie Eason ...
Paleo Protein Bars
Makes 8 bars or muffins
1/4 cup blanched almond flour
1/4 cup sifted coconut flour
Whites from 3 eggs + 1 whole egg
2 scoops protein powder
2 dropperfuls of liquid Stevia
1/4 tsp Baking Powder
2 tbsp chia seeds
1/2 cup frozen fruit
Splash of milk (coconut, almond, etc).
1. Mix all of the dry ingredients together. In a separate bowl, whisk together all wet ingredients except chia and fruit.
2. Microwave to thaw your frozen fruit for 30 second intervals in the microwave, stirring often. This will take about 90 seconds.
3. Add chia seeds and set aside for 5 minutes to form a chia gel.
4. Now, mix fold in with other wet ingredients.
5. Slowly sift in the dry ingredients, until just moistened, ensuring you do not over mix.
6. Spray a small 8x8 baking dish with non-stick spray or grease with a little oil of your choice. Or, use a muffin dish, and grease 8 muffin holes and divide batter evenly amongst. (Pour a little water into the other muffin holes to keep the pan from warping.)
7. Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes, ensuring they're cooked through when toothpick inserted comes out clean.
The first time I made these, I used vanilla protein powder and strawberries. The second time, I used chocolate protein powder and raspberries. So good!
Topping options are endless. For a frosting, try mixing one scoop of protein powder with just enough water to form a gel, slather over your bars or muffins as soon as they're cool.