I hear two things when women talk to me about lifting weights or starting CrossFit. Just two things.
They don't want to get bulky and they don't want to lose their boobs. Since we know you won't get bulky, let's talk about those lovely lady lumps.
When you lose body fat, it comes off all over, not just in particular areas (no such thing as spot-training/toning). If you're losing fat, you're bound to lose some of your ladies: fact. Since that's what boobs are: fat.
Before I started training, lifting, running, CrossFit, I was a bit bustier above, but not much. Don't be afraid to lift weight because you think you'll lose your boobs. If you're a busty girl, you're going to stay busty. They might just get a little perkier thanks to the developing muscles underneath them (your pectorals).
That's what happened with me. Yes, I went down a cup size, but I also went down a bust size! So, everything stayed relative. I didn't mind losing a little up top at all, because I gained so much in return: a bigger ass, smaller waist, smaller bust, leaner legs, a beautiful back, and perkier, rounder boobs.
You know that deeply satisfying feeling of holding a balanced stone or a rounded coffee mug that fits perfectly into the palm of your hand? That's how small breasts feel. With that thought in mind, let us revel in our small booby-ess, and stop treating it like a bad thing.
- Going bra-less. Do you know how exhilarating this is? And how easy it is? Nothing is sexier than going dancing in a sequined tank and letting the girls roam free. Except maybe answering the door in an oversized sweater and nothing else ...
- Pain-free and pretty! We don't have to worry about grooves in our shoulders from restricting bra straps, back aches, or keeping everything "in place."
- Sagging. We won't ever have to worry about gravity. Or our nipples hanging down by our navels.
- Plunging V-necks and sexy strapless dresses. Have you noticed how some busty girls tend to look, well, like they're trying too hard (girls spilling out everywhere) in a plunging neck line or strapless dress? It's just too revealing to look classy. Smaller girls totally pull off the look while looking elegant the whole time.
- Burpees, box jumps, high pulls? Little boobies stay right in place and don't ever get in the way!
If you're absolutely terrified of looking "smaller" (I like it, I think it makes me look thinner and my ass look even bigger), then opt for a bra that has a little padding. I love the Reebok CrossFit Racerback Sports Bra. It doesn't give you that super "smooshed" look some bras offer. And hot damn, this thing is so comfortable, you almost forget you're wearing one.
Just the right amount of support, curve and cushion.
Now go out into the world, and show off your girls!
1. Do you have an issue with your girls and working out?
2. Do you have a favorite sports bra?