When vegetable meets chocolate, it's a match made in, err, Heaven?
In this case, a big, fat, whopping, yes.
I know I'm way late to be jumping on the zucchini wagon, I mean, it's a summer squash, right? And we just passed Halloween. But I just can't stop. This veggie is too baking fit to quit!
The magic happens when all of the liquid is released. This leaves whatever you're baking incredibly moist. There is nothing worse than a dry cookie. And it seems like healthy and dryness go hand in hand. We all know subbing applesauce for butter doesn't cut it. Well! Not. Any. More. Enter sexual looking plant.
The cure for dry, baked goods.
Now, let's get to it!
Moist Zucchini Carrot Chocolate Chip Cookies
40 calories per cookie
Makes 2-3 dozen cookies
Prep time: 15 minute
Bake time: 10 minutes
- 1/2 cup Splenda
- 5 tbsp Fage Greek 0% Yogurt
- 2 tbsp Smart Blend or Brummel & Brown
- 3 tbsp egg whites
- 1 cup shredded zucchini (about 2 zucchini)
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots (about 2 carrots)
- dash of vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup oats
- 1 cup oat flour (grind 1 cup of oatmeal into a flour)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup cranberries
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Cream the Splenda, Greek Yogurt and Smart Blend together.
- Add the egg whites and vanilla, beat well.
- Add shredded veggies and mix.
- Measure out 1 cup of oatmeal and grind into a flour using your coffee grinder. (I do this 1/2 cup at a time.)
- Combine all of the dry ingredients into a bowl and mix until incorporated.
- Add to the creamed mixture and stir until combined.
- Drop dough by teaspoonful onto greased baking sheet (I use Pam baking spray.)
- Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes.
I enjoyed mine with a dollop of Cool Whip.
A cookie ice cream sammich, anyone? Pop it in the freezer for a few minutes!
What is your favorite zucchini dish?
Just wanna warn you, it might be this one after you've tried it!